Wendy's 30+ years of insurance industry experience has included everything from underwriting commercial and personal lines to towing and heavy iron. Her experience underwriting all types of transportation insurance herself—as well as managing teams of underwriters and program development—has led her to where she is today. She’s an excellent fit as GMI's CUO and we wanted to find out more about her and what interests her.
What are three career lessons you’ve learned thus far?
• Listen, more than you speak.
• You cannot control how others act, you can only control how you respond.
• Take time to digest and think before you respond to others.
How do you define success and why?
Seeing yourself realistically and understanding where you are talented and utilizing that to its fullest capacity. Always seeking to improve yourself and staying humble but confident. Giving everything 100% to do what it takes in your life to achieve your goals while trying to make a positive difference no matter the situation. Moving through fears of the unknown so that opportunities do not pass by without you.
When you are at work, how do you motivate yourself?
• I try to always keep end game/results in mind when I move through my day.
• I attempt to find ways each day to share knowledge, accept knowledge and develop and help others. Knowing this should be a main goal.
• I focus on one task at a time and by the end of the day I have accomplished more than I realize.
• I try to find the positive in not-so-positive situations. Attitude is everything.
Where on earth are you hoping to travel next and why?
Australia. It’s beautiful and I would love to see Ayer’s Rock and the Sydney Opera House. And of course the kangaroos and koala bears can’t be missed either.
What TV show or movie are you ashamed to admit you love?
Netflix’s “Ozark.” The characters are so interesting and they make me wonder how someone goes from a nice person to not-so-nice. I really enjoy watching a series to see how the people interact and what becomes of them at the end. No spoilers here!
What superhero would you be and what would your superpower be?
Stretch Armstrong. (old school) I would be able to stretch myself more than I already do and get more done.
Glad you’re part of the GMI team, Wendy!
You can contact Wendy at WWatson@GMI-Insurance.com or by calling her at (610) 933-4679, ext 241.